5 IT Solutions to Automate Your Production Facility
The latest phase in manufacturing, known as Industry 4.0 or the Fourth Industrial Revolution, refers to the use of smart automation and connectivity in a production environment. By utilizing the Internet of Things (IoT) to connect computers to machines, facilities can automate production while leveraging data and analytics, enhancing human interaction with machines and improving efficiency and productivity.
What are Industry 4.0 Solutions for Manufacturing?
Industry 4.0 IT solutions for manufacturing are cutting-edge technologies that enable data sharing and automation by connecting machines and computers — leading to today’s “smart factories.”
Along with improved robotics and IoT connectivity, smart factories may employ additional digital solutions. These may include automated diagnostic tools, remote monitoring, predictive maintenance, augmented reality (AR) and virtual reality (VR), and mobile and web apps.
Automation and connectivity in smart factories lead to improved production reliability and precision, and a more agile, flexible, and efficient production environment.
5 Foundational IT Solutions for Manufacturing
Implementing Industry 4.0 smart manufacturing processes can help companies achieve continuous improvement goals such as reducing downtime, improving supply chain traceability, and increasing speed to market. However, Industry 4.0 doesn’t just happen. Management must identify opportunities, choose from various technological and digital solutions, and implement the ones that address the highest priority functions.
Here are five foundational IT solutions for manufacturing to consider as your organization prepares to implement Industry 4.0 in your factory.
- Cloud & Hybrid IT: Cloud computing enables manufacturers to store and access data and applications on remote servers. This internet-based solution eliminates the need for on-premises infrastructure, providing an affordable, flexible, and scalable solution. Combining cloud and on-premises systems results in a hybrid IT solution, allowing organizations to leverage the benefits of both.
- Colocation: Manufacturers can rent servers and other hardware space at a third-party provider’s facility, allowing them to outsource physical infrastructure while retaining control over their IT systems. Colocation can also assist manufacturers by providing redundancy for disaster recovery.
- Application Modernization: In manufacturing, application modernization is the process of updating or replacing legacy software and systems to ensure compatibility with modern technology. This can include migrating on-premises software to the cloud, implementing software-as-a-service (SaaS) solutions, and using technologies like artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML). Application modernization enhances the functionality and efficiency of equipment, frontline workers, and supply chain while optimizing processes.
- Virtualization: Virtualization technology enables manufacturers to use a single physical server to run multiple virtual machines or operating systems. This reduces costs while improving hardware utilization and scalability. Virtualization also helps support flexible work arrangements by enabling the creation of virtualized desktops, allowing employees a secure way to remotely access applications and data.
- Digital Transformation: Digital transformation is the integration of digital technologies across all aspects of a manufacturing organization, fundamentally changing how it operates. It can cover many different initiatives, such as adopting Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT) devices for real-time data collection and predictive maintenance, leveraging analytics for informed decision-making, and implementing automation and robotics to streamline processes and increase productivity.
The Future of Manufacturing Starts with OneNeck
These foundational IT solutions for manufacturing are a starting point when planning for the digital transformation necessary to thrive in today’s technology-driven landscape. Moving to Industry 4.0 offers enticing long-term benefits including continuous improvement and cost savings.
Don’t walk this path without a partner that can guide you through the journey. At OneNeck, we have helped manufacturing companies like yours jump into action with innovative solutions.
- Migrations to cloud, multi-cloud, and hybrid environments
- Colocation for managing the cost of expanding data centers
- Cybersecurity products and services to reduce downtime and risk
- Digital transformation and application modernization
- Connected machines and devices
In today’s competitive, rapidly evolving manufacturing environment, organizations that embrace digital solutions are better able to weather any storm. Let OneNeck IT Solutions help you navigate your organization’s transition to Industry 4.0.
Read more about IT solutions for the manufacturing industry, and learn how OneNeck can help provide solutions right for your factory.