To be competitive, enterprises need to deliver new products, update processes and improve services that will drive new business, increase profits, and cut costs – all while asking IT to do more with less. As the pace of innovation increases, many IT organizations find themselves stretched impossibly thin and struggling to keep pace.
Where is IT struggling to keep up?
When being asked to do more with fewer resources and limited budgets, critical projects take a back burner — for example, monitoring and maintaining systems become a low priority, cloud migration projects are delayed and proactive security measures may suffer. End users become frustrated by the lack of IT support, and business units adopt solutions that are not sanctioned by IT, creating Shadow IT. The results are application conflicts, duplication of services between departments and new vulnerabilities in the network.
Outsourcing application and database management can ease the burden on your IT department, tap into the resources you are lacking, improve efficiencies, free up your in-house IT staff to focus on those projects that make a positive impact on your growth, and even improve your overall security posture.
Benefits of outsourcing application and database management include:
- 24/7 support: Today’s businesses are always-on, and lean IT staffing makes it difficult to provide true 24/7 support, especially for global organizations. Pushing current staff to handle after-hours support cannot only get expensive, but it often results in reduced team engagement and job satisfaction. Outsourcing some support functions means that your staff is freed up to focus on core projects that can improve overall support.
- IT agility: When IT organizations are stretched thin, the can only do the minimum to maintain application and database servers. This means that they don’t have time to focus on more strategic tasks, like developing new applications or improving operational efficiencies.
- Ease the talent crunch: Good IT talent is hard to find and comes with a premium. With limited qualified candidates, it can be difficult to construct an IT team that delivers the breadth and depth of the expertise that is needed. Outsourcing provides you with a pool of available experts to help you meet your goals.
- Free up resources: When working with a quality IT service provider, you gain access to top-quality talent, on-demand, freeing your internal team to focus on other IT initiatives, like cloud migration, virtualization or other mission critical projects to bolster the business’ bottom line.
- Save money: There are economies of scale to be gained when outsourcing application and database management tasks. Access to a larger variety of resources ultimately saves you the budget and burden of hiring a consultant or another full-time employee. Outsourcing services can also provide you with access to innovative technologies that you would otherwise have to budget for.
Read more in our eGuide: IT Outsourcing Pros and Cons.