SQUARE ONE: DEFINING EMM
There are five basic parts that make up a complete EMM story, and defining them upfront is key to understanding them and addressing each piece. So, here is a really quick refresher on the basics…
The shift to business being done with mobile devices.
||Enterprise Mobility Management
Managing the entire range of devices, networks, applications to fully leverage all aspects of enterprise mobility.
||Mobile Application Management
Maintaining a higher level of control over business related apps with a lower level of control over the device.
||Mobile Device Management
Specialized software that secures, monitors, manages and supports mobile devic¬es, whether commercial or internally developed, deployed across mobile opera¬tors, service providers and enterprises.
|| Mobile Content Management
A system capable of storing and delivery content and collaboration services to mobile devices securely and role appropriate.
STEP TWO: UNDERSTANDING THE CHALLENGES
You know can't ignore the mobile devices that have made themselves at home your network. So the next step is to understand the challenges, and then define a strategy that will support your workers' devices while keeping your network secure. Some of the challenges you need to address are:
- End users don’t just hope for a seamless experi¬ence with self-service access to apps and con¬tent, they expect it. In addition, they want this experience on the latest devices of their choosing.
- End users will go around IT to get what they need to keep them pro¬ductive.
- These rogue end users are now creating security vul¬nerabilities like never before, leaving your sensitive data vulnerable to attack.
- While you know an EMM strategy is a must, it also puts you at risk when moving business critical applications and sensitive data to mo¬bile environments.
- In addition to worrying about the end users, IT administrators must also be considered. They have to manage a growing device population and protect the company data.
- Underneath those devices, your existing infrastructure has to be compatible with the growing number of mobile devices.
- Scalability is paramount, as mobility options grow, your EMM solution needs to scale and change with them.
STEP THREE: DEFINING YOUR STRATEGY
You understand the mobile influx trend is here to stay and the scope of what needs to be addressed, but where to start building a strategy is where many IT professionals are stuck pondering the options. At OneNeck, we can work through your unique requirements with you, to ensure your strategy meets them all, but here are a few key areas any EMM strategy will address…
For your end users:
- Device Choice: The ability to support a wide range of devices is imperative. Everything including smartphones, tablets, laptops, printers and other peripheral devices ensures your users have the device that makes them productive.
- Corporate Resource Access: Your end users need seamless access to automatically connect to the corporate network and the resources that live there.
- Productivity Apps: Applications are what keep businesses in business these days, and access to key business applications, including native, web, mobile, Windows and virtual apps to end user devices is a must while on the go.
- Self Service: Since you already know your end users are circumventing IT to meet their needs, give them access to a self-service portal that allows them access to the device management and controls they seek.
For your IT Department:
- Endpoint Management: Your IT administrator needs a mobility management platform built to manage any endpoint, across all platforms, for any use case, with automation to easily manage the growing number of devices.
- End-to-end Security: As devices grow in number, so do the risks. You need a solution that protects sensitive corporate data at the user, application, device and network levels to ensure containerization and data loss prevention.
- Enterprise Integration: Any solution is only as good as it integrates with your existing infrastructure to maximize your current investments and seamlessly extend those systems to mobile devices. A thoroughly integrated EMM solution enables businesses to deploy critical business applications, ensuring end users have seamless access to the resources they require.
If you’d like to get started, book a consult with our mobility experts today to discuss your EMM strategy. By defining your mobility strategy to securely enable the device expansion in your organization, you will lay the groundwork for an effective EMM strategy that enables your workforce to be more productive, leading to improved business performance.
If you’d like to learn more, check out these downloads…